The use case applications built on top of the SocialSensor architecture are illustrated in the following figure.
News comprises two applications:
- professional news application, addressing the news mining and analysis needs of news professionals, editors, etc.
- casual readers application, addressing the news retrieval needs of news readers.
Infotainment comprises three applications:
- EventLive, improving the experience of large event attendants, mainly through a rich set of information and content services available in a mobile setting,
- Dashboard, giving insights to event organizers through an interactive real-time event web application (dashboard),
- Social Media Walls, offering a novel tool that event organizers can use to create dynamic media-rich visualizations that are projected both online and at the event premises targeting event attendants.
A high-level overview of the SocialSensor framework is presented below.
The main components of the system include the following:
- stream-manager: Continuously collects status updates (tweets, posts, etc.) from the respective OSN APIs.
- storm-focused-crawler: Fetches web pages and multimedia content that is linked from the collected status updates.
- storage-indexing: Offers storage facilities and services for full-text, visual (similarity-based) and other (time/location) auxiliary indices, including wrapper services and REST APIs.
- news-orchestrator: Operates the news mining, indexing workflow (including the creation of news DySCOs).
- infotainment-orchestrator: Operates the infotainment mining, indexing workflow (including the creation of event-focused DySCOs).
- recommender: Maintains the profile of infotainment end users and offers profile- and context-driven recommendation.
- semantic-middleware: Combines peer services, peer support for video sharing and streaming and infotainment visualization components for mobile clients.
- News UI/app: Implements the application and user interaction for the news use case (web & mobile, news professionals and casual readers)
- Infotainment UI/app: Implements the application and user interaction for the infotainment use case (web & mobile, dashboard, social media walls).
Further details on each of those are available in the linked dedicated pages.